Sunday, June 22, 2014

Blazing the trails with IZ


Another busy weekend hiking on the Appalachian Trail.  This weekend's walk was off of Rt 9 in West Virginia at Keys Gap.  The terrain is a little rocky in places but for the most part nice and smooth.  It is important to prepare for any hike by taking plenty of water, having bug repellent and proper footwear. 
I carry my water and an Outward Hound travel bowl in my Granite GEAR backpack.  Make sure your pack is not too heavy.  Full grown dogs, like me, can carry up to 10% of their body weight, but it is important to workup to that weight. Check with your vet for the optimal weight your pet can carry. Don't forget to take breaks.  Your humans will need it!
The rocky terrain can be a strain on the pads of my feet so I also wear Ruffwear boots to help keep the pads of my feet from getting torn or rubbed raw.
Sometimes you can find snacks along the way but it is important to know what is edible both for you and your human(s).  On our hike we found some black raspberries for a tasty snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment